I last updated about Ben's potty training progress in my post about settling down with 2 kids where I mentioned "I tried starting Ben back into his potty training exercise but it's still tedious for me at this moment - for example, I can't drop everything at an instant and run to the bathroom with Ben when he wants to pee. So this activity needs to be slowly introduced over time."
Now you need to know all the while that:
* Ben potty trains in peeing by standing instead of the usual route I understand from other parents where their child started off by sitting on the potty. So don't ask me how to train your child to pee from sitting in the potty to standing...
* Ben does not like to sit on the potty at all, hence we have not been able to potty train him in pooping into the potty until recently (which means Ben poops in his diaper while standing)
* Ben also does not like anyone touching or being near him while he poops
So anyway, we have started back his potty training this month where we really stick to our guns (as in no giving in when he insists on diapers) and here's the update and some milestones so far:
* No diapers during daytime (unless we go out somewhere)
* Training Ben to pull down his own pants and hold his potty while he pees and then put back the potty on the floor properly (I also use this opportunities to remind him to focus his peeing into the potty)
* Diapers worn daily = 2 (one for afternoon nap, one for bedtime)
* Out in public for 2 hours without diapers! For the time in his 35 months of life, Ben went out in public without wearing diaper for 2 hours! We were going to hubby's 1st sister's house so we brought along his potty. Ben excitedly show off his potty to his cousins and he was so proud when he peed into the potty as we all stood around watching and cheering him on!
* Pooping for the first time in potty! We actually achieved this accidentally due to timing. Ben was playing in his water pool when he suddenly needed to poop. I rushed him to our bathroom, stripped off his swimsuit and told him he need to sit on the potty. Prior to this, he always insist to poop in his diaper even to the extent of crying when I refused to let him wear a diaper for him to poop in. But like I said, time is critical, I told him mummy cannot get diaper on time, he has to use potty so off he goes, sat on the potty and poop. Golly! I was a proud mummy that day!
* Short Term: To move on to peeing into the toilet seat
* Short Term: To continue training him to poop in the potty until he feels safe to sit on the toilet seat
* Short Term: To train him to poop in the potty by himself without me sitting behind & cuddling him for assurance
* Medium Term: To train him to hold his pee for a longer period
* Medium Term: To go diaper-free during his afternoon naptime after the above goal is met
* Long Term: To poop in the toilet seat
* Long Term: To go out in public without diaper and potty
* Long Term: To go diaper-free during his bedtime
So there you go, I hope we will be able to achieve the goals above and Ben to be diaper-free soon!