I received an email from Olha, the marketing manager of this fun app as they were looking for ways to spread the word about their wonderful mobile application for kids. I replied that I would be delighted to review the app myself if they don't mind since Ben is not into spelling stage yet. Anyway, my review as below...
* Title: Smart Speller English
* Price: The free version comes with 1 puzzle category (Vegetables), full version for iPad app: $2.99
* Category: Education
* Updated: 06 February 2012
* Version: 2.1
* Size: 29.7 MB
* Language: English
* Seller: Lemberg Solutions Limited
* Rated: 4+
* Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.Requires iOS 4.2 or later
Description from the product page:
"This simple to use and effective interactive learning game was created by parents for parents to help their children learn to correctly pronounce and spell words and letters. Thanks to its three levels of complexity (with hints, without hints and with extra letters), SmartSpeller will be exciting for kids to complete over and over again, moving to the next level as they grow up and learn. "
Although Ben is not into spelling stage yet, I am delighted to review this app because I am a bit of a spelling nuts fan and love games that require puzzle solving! Hey, at the end of the day, I keep all the good educational apps on my iPad so that I can let Ben use it when he's ready!
Each wooden fence represents a category and the colors of the rainbow
The app comes with 80 original pictures across 7 categories (numbers and colours, fruit & vegetable, vehicles, farm animals, shapes, body parts) and the game is played by tapping a moving object and then completing a word puzzle.
* I love that we can also touch the objects on the screen and the narrator tells you what it is!
You drag the letters to the bottom to spell out the word
* I like the difficulty levels which correspond appropriately. Easy level allows you to see the spelling of the word, Medium level test you on the spelling without any hints and the Hard level has an additional letter to test and trick your knowledge to see whether you are confident with your answers.
* Upon solving each category, you will see the colors for the category appearing as rainbow so it gives you something to look forward to as a reward for solving all the categories.
* There are different language versions of the Smart Speller app! (FYI, there are 10 language versions available on the AppStore and 13 language versions on the Android Market)
Room for Improvement?
* I would love it if the letters being spelled out (upon solving) to have other colors instead of the current darker brown which is not so eye catching.
* I wonder whether it is possible to animate out the object image after spelling correctly, for example after spelling the word 'one' correctly, the app can animate out 1 ball bouncing around the page or something.
You can purchase the "Smart Speller English" app from the iTunes App Store.
I am so excited to be able to hold this giveaway for my lucky blog followers and readers! FOUR of you lucky people are going to win a copy of this awesome and educational app! You will absolutely love it! Now, let's read below for the giveaway terms and conditions OK?
To enter the giveaway, kindly read and follow the instructions as stated in the Rafflecopter form below.
- You can enter either via login through your Facebook account or just key in your name and your valid email address.
- Please also leave your valid email address in the post comment so that I can contact you if you win this giveaway.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with the promo code by the sponsor to redeem the application for free from iTunes Store in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine. And if you'd like to read my previous iPad Apps reviews, you can do so by reading this post of mine called "My iPad App Reviews"