Here is another app which I got to review with Ben in my search to get more educational preschool apps for him. Anyway, my review as below...
* Title: Number Sense HD
* Price: $0.99
* Category: Education
* Updated: Aug 27, 2010
* Version: 1.1
* Size: 18.4 MB
* Language: English
* Seller: EMANTRAS
* Rated: 4+
* Requirements: Compatible with iPad.Requires iOS 3.2 or later
Description from the product page:
"Mathomatix: Number Sense is back and better than ever! Endorsed by Apple as New and Noteworthy (for the iphone) this popular app for kindergarteners makes its debut on the iPad. Like the original, this first of the Mathomatix series for tiny tots comes with five fun games rolled into one app. But this time, based on the encouraging feedback we received, the games have been redesigned*. We have upped the learning quotient without compromising on the fun quotient which made the original so popular.
Helps your kids learn counting from 1 to 30 by feeding some monsters. Don’t worry, the monsters don’t bite but the game will definitely keep your kids occupied.
DO THE DOTTY
A simple but engaging connect-the-dots game that will help your kids recognize and memorize numbers in the right order. Oh, and don’t be surprised if they show you a moon that they have just colored blue!
A super hero donkey (Drizzle is his name) is all you need to get kids to compare numbers, without objects, from 1 to 10. And yeah, Drizzle can be tickled too!
This deceptively simple game uses a school of fish to demonstrate the concepts of greater than, less than and equal to! Your kids are gonna love the interactive environment.
TOOT TOOT TRAIN
From Chocolateville to Licorice Lane runs a train that relies on addition and subtraction. Curious? You will simply have to play the game! "
* There are 5 games which came with this app and I think the one that got Ben's attention the most is the "TOOT TOOT TRAIN". Maybe because it is train? In any case, I like the idea of this game which is to teach my child the concept of numbering (adding, subtracting). For now, I'm more into focusing Ben to get used to the idea of counting 1 to 10 and seeing the objects being added or subtracted one by one.
* We didn't try further on the "NUMBERELLA" and "DO THE DOTTY" games as I have yet to start Ben into recognising numbers.
Room for Improvement?
* For the "TOOT TOOT TRAIN" game, I would love it if the number (in the star symbol) is pronounced when we touched it.
* For the "FISHOONKA" game, I was initially excited to see this game as I think Ben would love it! I thought the goal of the game is to touch which part of the screen with more or less colored fish indicated (cos Ben is able to identify which is more and which is less), but I was wrong. We have to move the colored fish so that we can fulfil the requirements. I think that is a teenie weenie bit too hard for my boy for now.
In summary, I think this app is a great app and would benefit my boy when the time comes. At the moment, we cannot utilise the games fully as Ben has just been introduced to numbers (we are taking our homeschooling slow and easy), he can count 1 to 10 but he has yet been shown the numbers to relate to it. I will definitely use this app again in the coming few weeks or months.
You can purchase the "Number Sense HD" app from the iTunes App Store.
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with the promo code by the sponsor to redeem the application for free from iTunes Store in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine. And if you'd like to read my previous iPad Apps reviews, you can do so by reading this post of mine called "My iPad App Reviews"