I love getting to read parenting books. When I received a pitch to review this book, I checked out on Amazon website to find out more on what the book is all about and decided, I have to read this book! What sets this book apart and made me decide to review it is that it deals with the emotional aspects of parenting and it also mentions that our childhood does affect how we parent our children. Here goes my review for the "ParentWise: The Emotional Challenges of Family Life And How To Deal With Them" book:
Title: ParentWise: The Emotional Challenges of Family Life And How To Deal With Them
Authors: Loren Buckner LCSW
Publisher: Booklocker.com, Inc. (March 10, 2010)
ISBN-13/-10: 978-1609101114 / 1609101111
Paperback: 200 pages
Dimension: 9 x 6 x 0.4 inches
Description from the product page:
"Parents often lament that kids don't come through the birth canal with instructions securely fastened to their big toes. In the quiet solitude of night they wonder, why didn’t anybody tell me what this was going to be like? With the knowledge of a seasoned psychotherapist, the wisdom that comes with thirty years of marriage,and raising two kids to adulthood,Loren Buckner adds a uniquely qualified voice to the parenting discussion.
ParentWise: The Emotional Challenges Of Family Life And How To Deal With Them is an intimate conversation about the emotional turmoil of parenting. Parents learn why their own life histories are important. Chapters on guilt, worry, sadness, disappointment, and anger help parents accept their darker emotions, ones they haven’t known how to talk about. Parents will not only find comfort in what Loren has to say, they’ll discover a better parent within themselves..."
This book is not about how wonderful parenthood is. Of course, as a parent, well agree having a child is one of the most wonderful thing in life and how blessed we are to have the opportunity to raise a child. This book is telling us that parenting is not that easy and it's just not us feeling that too. This book is about OUR childhood and OUR emotions.
* I like the way the author stressing out repeatedly on how our childhood and emotions will affect the way we understand and care for our children.
* I like the statement on page 12 where it says "Children learn about how to fight fairly by watching their parents safely and respectfully argue with each other." I agree that if we are afraid to confront our partner about his/her anger, it is much more harder for our child to handle this anger when directed at them.
* I think it is important that we are aware of the possibility that feelings from our past affects and shapes our feelings in the present.
Highly recommended, do get a copy of this book for yourself too!!
You can get this book from Amazon.
Yes! I have been given an extra copy to give away to 1 lucky follower / visitor on my blog! Yeap, if you are the winner, you get to own a copy of this book!
** Note: This giveaway is for anyone with a mailing address in Malaysia as I'm forking out my own money to send out the book to the winner.
OK then, just read below for the giveaway terms and entry form, OK?
To enter the giveaway, kindly read and follow the instructions as stated in the Rafflecopter form below.
- You can enter either via login through your Facebook account or just key in your name and your valid email address.
- Please also leave your valid email address in the post comment so that I can contact you if you win this giveaway.
- You have 1 month time from now to join in the fun and try your luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with a copy of the book in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine. And if you'd like to read my previous book reviews, you can do so by reading this post of mine called "My Book Reviews"