I received an email from Michelle (the author of this book) asking whether I was interested in reviewing her book. As a parent, I want to learn as much as I possibly can on ways to help my child to read. Here goes my review for "What Children Need to Learn to READ " book:
Title: What Children Need to Learn to READ
Author: Michelle Vallene
Publisher: LearnersLane; 1st edition (January 4, 2010)
ISBN-13/-10: 978-0982285602 / 0982285604
Paperback: 213 pages
Dimension: 9 x 7 x 0.6 inches
Description from the product page:
"Your Child's First Reading Teacher Is ... YOU! "What Children Need to Learn to READ" is the ultimate resource for parents and other adults who want to encourage literacy in young children. Packed with age-appropriate tips, techniques, fun activities, checklists, and common-sense suggestions, this one-of-a-kind book will answer your questions, boost your confidence, and prepare you for one of the most rewarding things you'll ever do!! You'll learn: What works best for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, and early elementary school students. How to make reading a FUN and familiar part of everyday life. Where to find the best children's books, magazines, games, websites, and more. "
* I like the tips given in chapter 1 on how to read to your child everyday where the author breaks it down by age group: Babies, Toddlers and Preschooler or early elementary school child. Under the "Toddler" section, I realised I do practise the tips given such as discussing what we see and do when we are out and about. I always ask Ben what the object/building/colors etc. I also explain to him how they are similar to what we see at our home (whether in books, iPad app, movies)
* I like the Children Language Accomplishments Checklist on chapter 2 which I can refer back in order to see whether Ben is at par according to the age group.
* I love the activities listed in this book and how the author separates them into different chapters on their own: games, rhymes, music and songs, letters and sounds, sight words and so on.
In summary, it is a very resourceful book that shows you many ways that you can help to get your child interested in reading and expose them to literacy from a young age.
Highly recommended, do get a copy of this book for yourself too!!
You can get this book from Amazon.
And yay!!! I am so happy to hear Michelle has generously offered to sponsor 1 copy of her book SIGNED by herself and an accompanying music CD with all the songs and nursery rhymes from the book to 1 lucky follower / visitor on my blog! Yep, if you are the winner, you get to own a signed copy of her book and her music CD and she will mail it to you anywhere you are!
OK then, just read below for the giveaway terms and entry form, OK?
To enter the giveaway, kindly read and follow the instructions as stated in the Rafflecopter form below.
- You can enter either via login through your Facebook account or just key in your name and your valid email address.
- Please also leave your valid email address in the post comment so that I can contact you if you win this giveaway.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
So what are you waiting for?!! Hurry up! You have 1 month time from now to join in the fun and try your luck!
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with a copy of the book by the author in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine. And if you'd like to read my previous book reviews, you can do so by reading this post of mine called "My Book Reviews"