I knew I had to review this app when I saw the video trailer of it showing a bear being bitten by a flea, rolling on the ground, scratching its body trying to get rid of the flea. My first thought was my 3 years old boy is going to have fun watching this. Anyway, my review as below...
* Title: The Very Itchy Bear
* Price: $5.49
* Category: Books
* Updated: Sept 11, 2012
* Version: 1.1
* Size: 70.9 MB
* Language: English
* Seller: We Are Wheelbarrow PTY LTD
* Rated: 4+
* Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later.
Description from the product page:
"Bear is back again and - uh oh! He's STILL cranky!
In the third book of the beloved Bear series, Flea tries to say "Hello" by biting Bear high and low...
'Itchy Bear' is another fun & humorous book for young readers by authour/illustrator Nick Bland. This is the third app Bear stars in - Nick's books 'The Very Cranky Bear' & 'The Very Hungry Bear' have already been adapted to popular apps for the ipad,iphone and ipod touch! Even so, Bear hasn't let stardom go to his head - he is just as lovably gruff as ever. A character that is truly bought alive by voice acting from the equally loveable Australian actor, Angus Sampson."
* It is very engaging and I love that we can also touch the objects in each page on the screen and be amazed at the cute animation that appears!
* I could tell that my 3 years old boy is enjoying the animation effects where we can zoom in and out to look at the flea. I also used the opportunity here to teach my boy on sizes comparison (big and small) and what a flea does.
* I like the storyline where it tells how the Bear trying to get rid of the flea that bit its body and then realises he's all alone and what the bear did to be with the flea together in the end.
* There are some pages which got Ben's attention and reactions such as the page where the Bear swam and swam and swam to rescue the flea. I think this is partly because we have been going to our health club and Ben loves swimming in the club's swimming pool so I think he finds it cute and he can relate himself to the Bear when it swam.
Room for Improvement?
* I would prefer if the flower looks nicer. The one shown below actually creeps me out the first time (when I accidentally touched it without realising it's a flower!). The red flower looks like an alien's head!
* I noticed that the paging is a bit slow, as in when we turned to the next page, it takes a few seconds before we can go to the next page.
* I also think the price of the app at $5.49 is a bit too pricey.
You can purchase the "The Very Itchy Bear" app from the iTunes App Store.
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with the promo code to redeem the application for free from iTunes Store in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine. And if you'd like to read my previous iPad Apps reviews, you can do so by reading this post of mine called "My iPad App Reviews"