My 3.5 years old boy has no problems identifying colors and he does coloring with chalks in our balcony sometimes but my purpose to review this app is more to see what is the story about and test whether my boy can follow the instructions in the app when it comes to using what colors to color the respective objects. Anyway, my review as below...
* Title: The Chalk Box Story
* Price: $3.99
* Category: Education
* Released: Nov 29, 2012
* Version: 1.0.0
* Size: 70.4 MB
* Language: English
* Seller: Auryn, Inc
* Rated: 4+
* Requirements: Compatible with iPad. Requires iOS 5.0 or later.
Description from the product page:
"Eight very special sticks of colored chalk transform blank sheets of paper into exciting stories that become quite real. Pieces of colored chalk draw a story about a boy stranded on an island and the turtle who rescues him. This app helps children learn colors and also the spirit of team work. The process of knowing this through The Chalk Box Story is beautifully illustrated and written by Don Freeman. "
* It is engaging and interactive and I love that we can also move the chalks and color the pages on the screen as we go through the story!
* Initially I thought we have to color according to the story line before we could move through the pages, so I am happy to note that we can skip forward or return back to the colors on respective pages (more like free play) instead of being forced to go through each pages.
* I was not a fan of watercolored illustrations before this but I think my perception has changed after trying out this app. The drawings on each page is simply breathtakingly beautiful and cute!
* The storyline is simple and easy to follow, I'm so thankful for the happy ending where the main character gets rescued and able to leave the island he got stranded on.
* There is a bonus feature in this app which you can drag and drop the objects accordingly. The nice thing is if the object is not appropriate to be placed where you want them to, you will see a red mark on the object. For example, you can't put the dolphin on the island or crab in the ocean.
* I do however feel the price $3.99 is a bit high for this app though but I realised that the apps I am reviewing lately is around this price range.
You can purchase the "The Chalk Box Story " app from the iTunes App Store.
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with the promo code to redeem the application for free from iTunes Store in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine. And if you'd like to read my previous iPad Apps reviews, you can do so by reading this post of mine called "My iPad App Reviews"