I have just started my girl on solids about 1 month ago, when she is nearing 7 months old. And that's when I started to let her have few sips of water when she finishes her solids. Yes, prior to that, she is exclusively breastfed, no water at all, purely 100% breastmilk from me!
Anyway, I was initially approached by Pigeon (the company that makes this product) to review a nursing bottle but I have to politely declined as my girl has been directly breastfed by me, no bottles whatsoever. Next I was offered to review nursing pad, which I have to again decline politely as I think I have mastered the art of breastfeeding without erm.. leaking hehehe... (or maybe nothing much to leak after my girl drank all my breastmilk! Hahahaha)
Now, third time is the charm! Yes, I was offered to review a sippy cup! Yay! What better time to review this as I was just starting to get my girl to take solids! So here goes my review for the "MagMag Spout Cup":
Description from the product page:
"Babies grow fast and require different baby care products at different stages of their development. PIGEON MagMag focuses on the changing needs of growing babies and provides perfectly designed products for their various needs. Drinking from a straw is a learned skill, as opposed to suckling at a mother's breast which is a natural reflex. MagMag is a three-step training cup to help babies develop oral mechanics to drink the way adults do.
PIGEON MagMag captured the heart of mothers since its first release in Japan in 1982. This revolutionary product, which supports the baby's natural development, is based on extensive research in the oral development of babies. In 1990, MagMag was developed for the overseas market and it immediately won the trust of mothers all over the world. In 2005, we proudly introduced the third generation PIGEON MagMag."
The sippy cup came with a nice looking transparent packaging, complete with instructions on how to use the sippy cup. I have been given the Step 2 Spout cup to review as I don't use pacifier on Alyson and she's not ready for straws yet, so step 2 is just about right for her stage now.
"Step 2 - Spout Cup (for 5 months onwards)
Move on to spout as your baby accustoms himself to drink from different shape other than nipple.
* Soft and flexible silicone spout (Cross-cut) allows quantity of liquid flow to be adjusted by baby's drinking manners
* Hood touches the spout prevents liquid from dripping out
* Angled handles for easy drinking
* Allows step-up to Straw Cup (Step 3) by changing the cup top"
Excuse my mummy blogger habit... I cannot resist the habit to take pictures of every possible angle of the products I review, so here it goes... Hahahah... top view, side view, front view, close-up view of the measurement and the spout as well.
My feedback on the product (prior to letting my girl use it):
- I love the vibrant orangy color!
- The size is big enough for my girl to handle and I love the ergonomic handles at the sides of the sippy cup!
- The spout is surprisingly VERY soft and flexes when I bend it around. I also noticed the cross cut at the tip of the spout.
My feedback on the product (after letting my girl use it):
- Alyson initially had trouble using the spout as she tried gumming the spout but there's no water coming out. I had to actually bend the spout tip a couple of times to make the cross cut bigger so that the water flows out easier for her. After a few attempts, she got the hang of it.
- There is no water leakage from the sippy cup even though it has been dropped on the floor, lying sideways and all. I tried turning it upside down as well and there is no water dripping out from the sippy cup.
- Cleaning of the sippy cup is easy as well but I feel there are too many components in this sippy cup. The first time I looked at the instruction guide, I got worried as I'm not really a good person that understand guide - especially after seeing the number of components in the product.
You can find more information about the product at:
I received no monetary compensation for this review, I was provided with the product by Pigeon Malaysia in order to facilitate my review. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. Please do your own research when purchasing products, as your opinions may differ from mine.